Direction for the development of bioindustry in Jinju
The Korean Government (Ministry of Commerce, Industry, and Energy) supports Jinju as a hub of biology industry technology innovation.
- Designation Date : Dec. 1, 2000
- Government support : 5 billion won (For 2000~2004)
- Designated fields: Biological and chemical material industries
Status of support
- The center of knowledge, environment and culture in Gyeongnam
- Development project for the core city of Jinju and Gwangyangman Bay(Jeonnam) broad area
- A futuristic industrial city designated as a hub of bioindustry.
Has unlimited developmental potential as a city that has integrated urban and rural areas.
- Area : 712.86㎢
- Population : 352,000
- Status of industries : Manufacturing companies 1,232 (Number of employees 15,854)
- Land transportation: Namhae Expressway, Jinju-Daejeon Expressway, National Roads Nos 2. 3. 33
- Railroad : Gyeongjeonseon Railway(KTX)
- Airport : Sacheon Airport (8㎞), Gimhae International Airport
Center of knowledge, transportation, and logistics (Jinju↔Daejeon, Coastal Expressway, Sacheon Airport), clean environment, abundant biological resources, and many bio venture companies(Environmentally friendly biology related companies 74); An excellent R&D base (4 universities, 4 research centers, many research personnels research results, and research equipment and facilities); strong will of the local government.
- Nurture and enable Jinju to develop into the Mecca of bioindustry through biotechnology innovation
- Establish experimental production infrastructure necessary for the development of biological and chemical materials
- Nurture bio venture companies through establishment of a system for cooperation among industry, academia, research and government sectors
- Establish Gyeongnam Bio Valley
- Vitalize local economy